Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Caramel Latte (Macchiato)

I love my espressos and lattes, but I am the only one that drinks anything with the word "coffee" in it. Everyone loves the smell, but the taste is a complete turn-off. I have to admit that I am not one of those everyday I have multiple cups of coffee people, so to invest in a real machine and grinder is just not something I can bring myself to do.
I have the humblest of equipment, but I do not forfeit a wonderful tasting cup of Jo because of my old friends Mr. Coffee and Kitchen Aid! Instead, I have come up with a process that gives me a product I am satisfied with. In my opinion, I like just as well as the major shops (and maybe even better).



Here is my ancient espresso maker. Notice the Asian tea cup that serves as an interim for the now missing little pot that came with.


Old Pal coffee grinder. I try to grind enough for one day, but sometimes I get extra. It will last for an additional day or two. I can get the fine grind I want by getting a coarse chop in about 15 seconds, then I pick up the grinder and gently shake back and forth for another minute or so.
While on the topic of grounds, I should mention that it is very important to get the right consistency. If you quit while still coarse, you will get a weak bitter flavored coffee. Imagine turning on a garden hose over gravel. The water would drain way too fast. Same with the coffee.

I wouldn't be concerned about too fine of a consistency with anything but the best of grinders. There is
only so far one of these like mine can go.

place the grounds in the basket and press down with a tamper or your finger. I like mine to be pressed down, but not too firmly. This way the water can drain through nice and dark.


One step that is VERY important:   Make sure to pour a bit of milk into the freshly brewed coffee. This keeps away from the bitter flavor that lurks in so many a cup.


Now for the steamed milk and foam. Place the stem in the milk before turning on the steam. I don't move the cup around or lift the stem out of the milk.This is not the usual pattern, but it works best for that dense foam to produce. I turn the steamer knob slowly on. It is on low (I judge by the sound, no auto here). Remember to keep the stem touching the bottom of the cup.

I love to make a caramel sauce, but working full time and then housekeeping, does not always leave enough time for a homemade batch. There are shops that sell a great substitute for a reasonable price and it keeps well.

Pour in as much caramel as you like and Voila!




 


*I just purchase the house brand beans @ my favorite grocery market, but I do not grind at the store.







No comments:

Private Lakefront Cabins

 Want a cabin on a lake? These are not easy to find especially here out West. One great secret.... there are still a few private cabins on C...